Tuesday 2 July 2013

Smithsonian Picnic on the National Mall

Today was the annual Smithsonian Institutes's Staff picnic at the Smithsonian Folklife Festival on the National Mall in DC, so many of the interns took the day off and went into DC to experience the event!

This trip was my first time in DC and I loved it!
There are so many fabulous things in DC. One of those awesome things is the Smithsonian Castle. It was build in 1855 and originally was the home for all of the Smithsonian's operations, including laboratories, lecture halls, museum galleries, some private apartments. However, when the institute began to grow, the rapid expansion of the collections and areas of research prompted new buildings to be erected, but throughout the years this unique Gothic revival structure has remained a lasting symbol of the institution.

Apparently, the National Mall is usually covered in grass, but this time every summer it is covered in tents and exhibits as a part of the Smithsonian Folklife Festival. The themes this year were Hungarian Heritage, One World Many Voices, and Will to Adorn. But Hungarian Heritage is the main theme, so there was a whole village set up filled with Hungarian heritage. This wooden tower was the first thing that caught my eye, I never actually figured out what it was, but the top of the tower is covered in decorations to symbolize the peacock, which is the representative of the Hungarian Heritage theme this year.
This little poster also caught my eye. Because the festival was closed to the public today, most of the exhibits were closed. So I think poster was meant to represent the domestic culture exhibit in the Hungarian Heritage section of the festival. They look so amazing, I wish that area had been open today! Seeing how and understanding why different cultures dress the way they do is fascinating.
We also had a chance to see SERC's very own Muddy Creek band! There are memebers from all different sectors at SERC. Each year at the Smithsonian picnic, many Smithsonian sites send a band to play and to show off to the other sites. Perhaps it's a bragging rights thing, though I don't think there's a winner. But SERC's Muddy Creek band was very good, they played a few songs. I did not know all the songs, but liked to listen to them play

There were lots of places to get lunch from across the globe: Hungarian, Indian, American, Latino. Several of the interns decided to get Indian food at a tent entitled Ahaar: A Taste of India. I got a chicken tikka makhani, which is boneless grilled marinated chicken in a tomato based sauce with garlic, ginger, and fenugreek leaves. Accompanied with sides of chickpeas/potatoes and Basmati rice pilaf. To drink I had a mango lassi which is mango and yogurt blended together on ice, basically creamy smooth mango deliciousness. 

 Today, I also rode on a Segway for the first time! The feeling of controlling a machine built on basically just two wheels and a handle is strange beyond belief unless you have tried it. You control it all with your body movements, by leaning forward to go, back to center to stop, and leaning back to reverse. This picture was taken in my first minute of being on it, I got used to the feeling after a few minutes, and was soon zooming around a circle. Although I could not go very fast and had a limited amount of time to try it out. 
I would definitely tell everyone to try it out! 
I can check riding a Segway off my bucket list now!

 After we had exhausted the festival, we still had some more time before we had to head back to SERC, so we went to the National Museum of History. Being a member of the Smithsonian staff allows me to cut the line and enter via the staff entrance, just a minor piece of excitement.
There's me with the giant elephant in the main atrium of the National Museum of History! Apparently his name is Henry, he's quite a famous elephant.
There's my roommate and lab mate friends with Henry in the background!

 Even though I did not get my official  Smithsonian ID until I returned to SERC later in the afternoon (it finally came after over 4 weeks of processing!), my temporary ID got me all the benefits of the official one. Look at me feeling so special and official with my Smithsonian ID, free IMAX ticket because of that ID, and very fashionable 3D glasses.
We just picked the IMAX presentation that was about to start. It was about Monarch butterflies: their migration, the preservation, and their majestic abilities to fly for thousands of miles in their lifetime.

I even saw the Capitol building! I didn't get too close because we did other things. Someday I will get closer to the Capitol, but I can now say I have seen it! And that is pretty darn good for a young woman who just came to the North East for the first time less than two years ago! 

I'm excited to go back to DC again and see more of this fascinating city!
Hopefully I will return again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment