Tuesday 9 July 2013

DC Adventures Part 3 : Impressionism at the National Gallery of Art



This atrium was in the middle of the first floor.
It's a very busy meeting place, it took me a while to get a picture without anyone walking through the middle of the frame. There's a figurine in the middle of the fountain. She looks very godly! Though I forget who she is intended to be. But nevertheless, she make a beautiful center for this photo framed by the pillars in the fore and back ground.


This piece is one of the museum's most notable.
It is Ginevra de' Benci by Leonardo da Vinci.
It is da Vinci's only work in the United States.
I saw the Mona Lisa (La Jaconde) at the Louvre when I was in Paris last summer. I was not very impressed, and am not sure I understand the hype around it. And now seeing this painting of his, I find da Vinci quite overrated as an artist. I acknowledge his talent, but I have seen better work.



The next main hall we went to was the Impressionist collection.

The Abduction of Europa by Jean Francois de Troy
The Northern Whale Fishery: The "Swan" and "Isabella" by John Ward of Hull
Marquise de Pezay, and the Marquise de Rouge with her sons Alexis and Adrien by Elisabeth Luise Vigee le Brun
Roman Cathedral, West Facade, Sunlight by Claude Monet


Point Neuf, Paris by Auguste Renoir









Girl with a Hoop by Auguste Renoir
The Japanese Footbridge by Claude Monet











Woman with a Parsol - Madame Monet and her son by Claude Monet


Self Portrait by Vincent van Gogh
House of Pere by Lacroix Paul Cezane














Favorite of the Emir by Jean Joseph Benjamin Constant
Before the Ballet by Edgar Degas











No comments:

Post a Comment