Saturday 20 July 2013

I'm Still Young at Heart

Even though SERC is in a very rural area, it is only an hour away from our nation's capital of Washington DC! So when my PIC was in DC, I had to find a way to get into the city because we only live once, so let's make the most of it!

Wandering about the city, near Adams Morgan, we found a park with a playground.
No matter how old I've gotten, I've always found playgrounds fun.

They had a set of monkey bars!
Of course, I had to try them to see if I could still get all the way across. And even though it had just rained and the bars were wet, I did get all the way around! I may be 20 years old, but I can still do the monkey bars, which I think is a pretty fabulous thing to be able to do!  

 Just like at most playgrounds, there was a slide. The rain made the slide hard to slide down, but that doesn't mean I didn't try. It was a slow and squeaky trip down, but I made my way down eventually.

Vanessa decided to give the squeaky slide a try too! I had to duck to get under the little arch at the top, but it was just the perfect height for her. Although being shorter didn't make the slide any more efficient for her, it was still a slow decent!


 The metal slide on the other side tuned out to be much better! There was a few bumps in it too which made it even more fun to swoosh down. And judging from this series of pictures, I'm definitely not the only one enjoying the playground!

As we made our way out of the little park, we came across a sunflower patch with a few flowers. I'd forgotten how large sunflower heads can get. This one was bigger than my head! And slightly fragrant too!

This quote is the epitome of what growing up is to me:
“When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
Growing up is about not fearing what others think of you. And that truly is advice to live off of in this world where everyone is so concerned as to what everyone else thinks about what they are doing. Just do your own thing, while in turn appreciating and respecting others for doing the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment