Tuesday 30 July 2013

Beautiful, but Abandoned Buildings

SERC owns a lot of the land around here, I think I've mentioned that previously. Most of the undeveloped land is SERC property, and some of the property with homes on it is SERC's too, they just rent it out to homeowners. 

Down the road from my main field site is a dirt track with a few abandoned buildings. Even in their demise, they are still beautiful to me. I find it relaxing to
see these old buildings. I like to imagine what these buildings were like in their prime. It would be easy enough to do a bit of research into their history, but I also like to enjoy my imagination and how I pretend they used to be . . . 
before this vulture took over!
And made it his home!
This vulture didn't like me taking his picture and stared at me in an unnerving way as I did it.

Looking for sites to do my phosphate below ground samplings, I came across this old SERC house just behind a row of perky summer homes. I'm not sure if the summer homes are on SERC property, but they might be. But this house certainly is. First there's a gate with the SERC private property sign on it. Followed by a well worn dirt track, leading to an open green space where this house resides next to a dock on the Rhode River. 
The house is all locked up with the windows boarded up, it reminds me of homes back home on the Gulf Coast abandoned in the anticipation of a large hurricane coming through. However, there is this one hole in the back door. Being curious, I peered through. It was quiet dark inside as one would imagine. Much of the inside had fallen into disrepair with pieces of the wall fallen down and wood everywhere. There was some wooden furniture, which was past its heyday. I find old buildings really nice, but also saddening as to who would let them fall into such a state and not upkeep them. Unfortunately these buildings are a part of life classified under change. As we and life and society changes, we force our environment to as well, leaving pieced from our past as reminders on the landscape.


No comments:

Post a Comment