Thursday 13 June 2013

Peanut Butter and Jelly! Science Version.

Today, was very much like peanut butter and jelly!
It was the perfect mix of lab time and field time!

Look at that pretty chemical! That I helped to make!
It's an SAOB! And yes, I will explain what that acronym means because before this morning I didn't know either.
An SAOB is a Sulfide Anti-Oxidant Buffer!
Its created with degassed de-ionised water with N2 gas. Then dissolve sodium saliclate, sodium hydroxide, and ascorbic acid. And finally degassed again. It's a lovely honey colour when it s good! If it goes bad (and it does after 3 days), it turns a dark red colour, because it got oxidised.
It definitely brought me back to the world of organic chemistry. I came back to that world with a strange fondness. I only started to enjoy organic at the end of my second semester, and by that time it was nearing final exam time, which of course put a damper on my excitement, but now I like it again. Oh how things change!

 The half of this peanut butter and jelly sandwich, is field work.
We went out to Fox Point to gather pore water samples. It was very mucky! It has rained more this week than it did in one month last summer. I was wearing boots that were too big for me because I have little feet and my marsh boots have not been ordered yet. So, I got stuck a few times. My boot even came off once. So I ended the expedition into the marsh with muddy legs, a muddy wet sock, and a possible sun burn!
The Phragmites at Fox Point are so dense! It's a much older strand than the ones at GCrew, so they are more established. Look, you can hardly see the boardwalk that we have in super squishy parts.

Diner was so much fun to make! We had chickpea burgers and sweet potato fries. We made the chickpea burgers from scratch, with chickpeas, breadcrumbs, mint, onions, and a few other vegetables that I have forgotten off the top of my head. The sweet potato fries were different than I'd had before; they were sweet versions of sweet potato fries, made with cinnamon, brown sugar, and butter. They were definitely different, but in a good way. I'm always down for sweet things!


2 comments:

  1. Another one I need the recipe for. Sweet potatoes don't exist in Russia but I think I can get my hands on some chickpeas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here you go! This is my friends recipe. She says to blend it all together except for the chickpeas, and manually mash the chickpeas until firm, but not creamy. And then mix it all together with the breadcrumbs.

    Ingredients
    1 small onion, finely diced
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
    2 cloves garlic, peeled
    1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves (add more herbs like dill, mint, and basil for a different flavor)
    1.5 cups cooked or canned chickpeas (if canned, be sure to rinse off the can-slime!)
    1/2 cup bread crumbs
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

    Directions
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
    Add the diced onion and saute, stirring occasionally, for five minutes, until soft and translucent. Remove from heat and place onions in a large bowl.
    In a food processor, blend carrot, garlic, parsley/herbs, and chickpeas until smooth. Add chickpea mixture to the bowl with the onions and mix to combine.
    Add bread crumbs, salt, coriander, and cumin to the chickpea mixture and mix until fully combined.
    Spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray or brush with olive oil. Form chickpea mixture into 4 patties about 3 inches across and 1/2 inch thick. Place patties on and baking sheet and use a pastry brush to brush patties with remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
    Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they begin to turn golden brown.

    ReplyDelete