Wednesday 26 June 2013

Lots of food, a run, and a racoon !

I'm sorry, I thought I would keep up with this blog better than I have been these past few days, so I apologize. For the most part I have been doing lots of research out in the field and lots of cooking in the kitchen.

Let's start with the best part first: food. Almost like having desert first!
 

Monday night I had some chicken which I cooked on the stove top, then topped with some vegetables and pasta sauce, then a finishing touch of cheese which melted on top. The vegetables I used were carrots, green peppers, and onions!



I had a healthy pre-lunch to my lunch on Tuesday. There was an ethics in science seminar during lunch, so we were served pizza. I wanted something more substantial and more healthy than pizza. So I made a sandwich with Provolone cheese, bologna, and green peppers on toasted whole grain bread! 

Diner on Tuesday night was more chicken and roasted vegetables, but I made them differently. I grilled the chicken and stir fried the vegetables. There was no sauce, which made it surprisingly good. I usually just put sauce on it, but plain is not bad, in fact it's pretty good!




And tonight, I continued the trend of lots of vegetables.  I had some green pepper, onions, mushrooms, and carrots, all chopped up. I put those in one frying pan and some pasta in a pot. Just before the vegetables were done, I added some salsa and marina sauce. I've found that salsa and marina sauce are great together, they make an awesome pasta sauce together, a slightly spicy mixture.



I went for a lovely 7 mile run yesterday. I went through trails around SERC and on Muddy Creek before winding back into SERC then into the woods on the Contees Watershed trail past the ruins. On the last mile I ran through a field on SERC property, there was these darling Black-Eyed Susans, the perfect end to a perfect run!



Today I was out in the field all day, it was very warm and there's no shade out in the marsh. I didn't stop for lunch until around 2pm because I had to take photosynthetic rates via LiCor using a light curve before it got to hot for the plants to be at their prime productivity levels. During lunch, I saw a raccoon slinking around the deck. It's very strange to see one during the daytime, yet it had stiff movements, and was most likely rabid. So I stayed quite far away!

SERC is fantastic place! Everyday I have new and amazing experiences! These are once in a lifetime experiences that I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to be a part of. 



No comments:

Post a Comment