Wednesday 14 August 2013

The Calzone that Became a Loaf

Before each grocery shop, I peruse the internet for fun recipes to make. I knew I want to cook bake something savory this week. I found recipe for calzones, so I made sure I got the needed ingredients on my fortnightly shop. On Sunday I decided to make ham and mozzarella calzones, with some green peppers and onions to the mix as well.

Here's the original recipe: 

Ham-Mozzarella Calzone

Ingredients 
2 large eggs
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 pound shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
1 13.8-ounce tube refrigerated pizza dough
1/4 pound deli-sliced ham, cut into thin strips
1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
Directions
Place a baking sheet upside down in the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Beat the eggs, parsley and lemon zest in a small bowl. Pour half of the egg mixture into a medium bowl and stir in the mozzarella. Reserve the remaining egg mixture for brushing on the crust.

Turn another baking sheet upside down; line with parchment paper and brush with olive oil. Unroll the dough on the parchment paper and pat into a 9-by-12-inch rectangle. Spread the mozzarella mixture over one half of the dough, leaving a 1-inch border along the edge. Top with the ham, followed by the pickled vegetables and provolone. Fold the other half of the dough over to cover the filling. Crimp and roll the edges to seal, then pierce the top of the dough in a few places with a knife.

Slide the calzone with the parchment paper onto the hot baking sheet; bake 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush with the remaining egg mixture, then continue to bake until the crust is golden, 5 to 10 more minutes. Let rest 5 minutes, then cut into wedges. 


I didn't use parsley on top. I'm not a big fan of parsley, I see it more as a garnish than an actual part of the meal. And a problem arose when I tried to close my calzone. I realized when adding my sliced green pepper and onion, I had not taken into account the fact that my calzone might not close with that added volume. And that's when my calzone became a loaf! After struggling with it for 10 minutes, I formed it into a loaf. It was going to taste the same no matter what shape it was in. After coming out of the oven and cooling. I dove right in! I was famished, it was a late diner. It was delicious! It really was! Pizza dough, ham, mozzarella, green peppers, and onions can be translated to scrumptious! And it was big enough to last me two diners and two lunches. Yippie for efficient cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment