Friday 30 August 2013

Chicken, Rice, and Vegetable Bake

Earlier in the week, I stood in front of my fridge staring at the contents wondering what I could do with the food I had. I wanted to use as much of it as possible. I amongst other things I had chicken breast, rice, onions, green peppers, and cream of mushroom soup. My next criteria for cooking that night was that whatever I made needed to be as simple as possible because I needed to dedicate myself to my seminar PowerPoint presentation. After looking at several sites online, I came across one entitled "One Dish Chicken and Rice Bake" Skimming the recipe, it sounded easy enough, basically throw it all in a pan and bake it for an hour. Excellent!
So that's what I did!
I even had some green beans, broccoli, and carrots to throw in there too.  Doesn't it look great? I also rubbed the chicken in lemon juice, black pepper, and some other spices.
Then popped it in the oven for an hour. After an hour the chicken was still pink in the very middle, so I put it in 20 more minutes.

Here's the recipe:

What You'll Need
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 cup water
3/4 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
How to Make It
1) Stir the soup, water, rice, paprika and black pepper in a 2-quart shallow baking dish. Top with the chicken and vegetables. Season with additional paprika and black pepper. Cover the baking dish with foil.
2) Bake at 375°F. for 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender.  Let stand for 10 minutes. Stir the rice before serving.

It turned out great! The rice was creamy with the mushroom soup, and I loved the amount of vegetables I stuffed in there with the chicken. However, the success of this meal was bittersweet because it was my last big cooking adventure of the summer. Being at SERC and being forced to cook for myself  for almost every meal has been a great experience! It truly has! I wouldn't trade it for the world!



No comments:

Post a Comment