Saturday 14 June 2014

Chocolate & Raspberry Roulade

I have a baking book I got this winter at thrift store in Bryn Mawr. I love just looking through it because it has gorgeous pictures of desserts, but when I have a kitchen and time I find a recipe in the book and give it a try. Last week I decided to try the chocolate & coconut roulade, my roommate is allergic to coconut though. So I made a few edits to make it into a chocolate & raspberry roulade!

Traditionally roulades were made with meat wrapped around vegetables or other savory foods. But it has developed into a sweet dessert with cake wrapped around a filling. This roulade has a dark chocolate coating! I think the hardest part was waiting for the chocolate to cool and harden before eating it. But to pass the time while we waited, the interns had lots of delicious fun scrapping the chocolate out of the saucepan after I had covered the cake.

Here's how to make a chocolate & raspberry roulade!
Ingredients:
For the cake
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1/2 cup of self-raising flour (though I admit I only had baking flour not self-raising so my cake was not as fluffy and bouncy as it should have been!)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 6 tbsp raspberry conserve
For the chocolate coating
- 7 oz dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup

Directions
1) Grease and line a 9x12 inch pan. Whisk the eggs and superfine sugar  and butter in a large mixing bowl with electric beaters for about 10 minutes or until the mixture is very light and foamy and the whisk leaves a trail when lifted.
2) Sift the flour and fold in with a metal spoon or a spatula. Pour into the prepared pan and bake in a preheated oven, at 400F for 10-12 minutes, or until springy to the touch.
3) Sprinkle a sheet of baking parchment with a little superfine sugar. Turn the cake out on to the paper and carefully flip the cake onto the paper and carefully peel away the lining paper (it's harder than you think.) Spread the jam over the sponge cake and roll up from the short end. Let sit on a rack to cool.
4) To make the chocolate coating, melt the chocolate and butter, stir while adding teh corn syrup. Leav cool for 5 minutes. Spread it over the roulade and leave to set. Cut the roulade into slices and serve.

You could also serve it with a raspberry coulis, made out of pureed raspberries, water, and sugar, then strained to remove the seeds. Next time I would make it with self-raising flour. I'd love to try it with the creamed coconut and shredded coconut in the sponge cake itself. It would give it an interesting texture and flavor. It's a sweet and delicious sponge cake with raspberry filling, encased in a rich chocolate coating. I made a whole roll which was gone in a night, honestly in a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment