Tuesday 15 July 2014

A Run Full of Bunnies and Natural Charm

I've been quite busy with research (both in the lab and in the field) recently. Today the realisation of how fast this summer is going came into view as today marks exactly one month left here at SERC. I even tentatively scheduled the day of my intern presentation with my PI this morning. That action made me realise how little time I have to do so much more research! My other realisation today definitely put a smile on my face - I will see my family in one month and a day from today!









 

This weekend I went for a run. Something I haven't had time to do as much as I would have liked recently. I ran down to the fish weir. Stopping for a moment to walk along it with the sun setting on one side, while the other was already cast in shadow - it was beautiful! The water was so calm, with just the slightest ripples. While the sky had a blue-pink tint on the one side, which had transitioned on the other side. I wish I had taken a panorama shot of the weir, it's a bit hard to put merging colors into words. I hope the pictures help you understand the majestic view I stood there witnessing. 

The rest of the run brought me down Fox Point Road to the turn and back up again, then down Transition Trail. It was along Fox Point Road that I saw the first two bunnies of my run. Little did I know then that these cute creatures were to become the theme of my run! With their fluffy white bobtails teasing me from the bushes, occasionally coming out to say hello by darting out in front of me or sitting by the wayside watching me go by.

What I love about going down Transition Trail towards the Java Trail is the steep hill with the view of the bridge. Sometimes I go up the hill, but the view of hill just extending above you is not quite the same as sprinting down towards the bridge over the patch of marsh on the outskirts of the marsh.
I had no set direction for this run, instead I let my feet guide me to the most interesting trails at the time. Crossing over the bridge, Java Trail twisted around to the dock, then back up towards the old tobacco farm. Along the road there were several more bunnies. I managed to capture these two on camera before they darted back to the safety of the bushes and long grasses. At the tobacco barn, I met back up with the Java Trail, forgetting about the low hanging branch on my way down the hill. That branch has been there since the beginning of the summer, so I'm not sure why I forgot it was there just on this run. The bunnies and gorgeous nature definitely made up for that branch, the humidity, and the bugs! 

No comments:

Post a Comment